About “lkr”

My name is Linda K. Ryder and I am the Senior Instructional Designer at Hudson Valley Community College. 

I’d like to give you some idea of how I have come to be teaching Instructional Design and Technologies in higher education. I have been teaching college for 30 years now and working in technology, faculty development and IT project management for 20 years. I teach studio arts (printmaking, artist books and traditional binding, painting, drawing, design, etc), art history, computer applications, web tools, and information management. I have extensive experience in project management, curriculum development, faculty training and supervision.

Prior to joining HVCC, I worked for New England College in NH teaching online courses for their graduate and undergraduate faculty on course design for hybrid and online learning environments. I also administered their Blackboard system, and supervised their Blackboard upgrades.

Prior to that I was Assistant Professor and Academic Technology Coordinator for Colby-Sawyer College in NH, where I supported faculty use of technology in teaching and learning, taught the liberal education foundation course in digital technologies, supervised the computer applications adjunct faculty and was the system administrator for the Blackboard course management system. During this time, I also served on the Board of Trustees of the Northeast Regional Computing Program (http://www.nercomp.org/), an affiliate of EDUCAUSE, and chaired the NERCOMP annual conference.

Prior to my work at Colby-Sawyer, I was the Project Director for the Professional Development Program (online and offline) of the Empire State Partnerships Project, a statewide collaboration with NY school districts, NYSED, NYSCA, Monroe #1 Technology BOCES, NYFA, and ARTSwire. This 1990s project sought to integrate arts and technology with K-12 curriculum in alignment with NYS Learning Standards. During this time I facilitated and co-designed a reflective practice protocol that became a required assessment for arts organization receiving NYS funding. Additional NYSAAE affiliations found me presenting on the use of Blackboard for online professional development and fundraising at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C.

I am the author of “When a Picture Needs a Thousand Words: ProCite as a Visual Resource Management Tool.” ProCite in Libraries: Applications in Bibliographic Database Management. Ed. Deb Renee Biggs. Medford: Learned Information, Inc. 1995. Under Lehman grant funding, I built a visual resource database for the Sage Colleges in the early 90s (before Windows, and before compressed and manageable image files -.jpgs were invented in 1992).

For 4 years I was the Associate Editor of Schwann CD Review Digest where I built databases of recorded music and reviews for international publication. During graduate school, I worked for 4 years in the steel factory in the Port of Albany submitting computer based optimum shearing runs to Bethlehem Steel’s mainframe systems in PA and running the local console for the engineering workstations (this was in the 80s – no PCs, no internet, no MS Windows – my computer, an IBM System36,  was larger than my washer and dryer)

I hold an MA and MFA (1988) from the University at Albany, State University of New York, and also taught advanced printmaking and artists books and narrative there in 2004-2006. I am currently back there taking courses in the ETAP program, hoping to credential myself in the field while keeping up with the latest research. I hope to complete my Masters in CDIT and a COLT after one more class in Fall 2014.

(If you are ever in Second Life you’ll want to look for my avatar Daedalus Kari. We are currently homeless waiting to buy some land – hopefully soon.)